Saturday, February 23, 2008

Snow Day

We had about 7" of snow yesterday.
I was very late to work, but mostly because I didn't wake up until the time I usually leave the house, to a phone call from a coworker saying the boss told us to take our time, so I showered and everything before the oh so beautiful trek at 30mph.
I saw some things I've never seen, cars broken in ways that still confuse me, enjoyed learning what I can and can not do to a snow pile between lanes in my Altima, and overall was really laid back about the whole thing.
My coworkers on the other hand, 2 of the four that made it into our office, were carrying on like we would be snowed in and stuck at the office for the weekend with no food or water or electricity if we didn't get out of there ASAP. As the rain started and the slush melted and the weather reports said the refreeze would happen later and later in the day, I wondered what exactly the normal Friday work day was keeping this one from. Sure, she lives a bit north, but honestly, if you made it in by following a snow plow, sit down and shut up and deal, no?
I guess in an environment that thrives only when complaining, I shall only be remiss that through all this whimpering that this one fax they were waiting on to come through wasn't they did all of Friday's duties and caught up on what they didn't get to on Thursday AND set them selves up for Monday and still managed to leave the office at 2pm.
If only we worked that hard every day...

So I left just after the 3pm closing time with my new best friend/coworker/lunch buddy/social life. We spend nearly every lunch break together, then end up at a Happy Hour once or 3 times a week, and she is the only reason I've tried any of the local restaurants or ventured into NYC since moving here. So after we went to a movie, hung out in the mall, had a cocktail and some dinner and a soul searching conversation, we went to one more store to search for work slacks and officially get kicked out for closing time. As we manhandled the merchandise I said "so, I am making Jersey think we are dating." Her response? "Fabulous; if the people at work seem to be looking at us funny it's because I'm telling them we are dating too."
Um, ok. Me telling a guy who isn't making time for me anymore that he has been replaced as my Official Welcome To Jersey concierge by my cute little giggly coworker just because I'm a tease is one thing; her asking all of us for the cutie young man on the sales floor and getting compliments emailed to her from a guy on the other side of the sales floor and passing around the notion that we always get coffee together because we are together??? Is that the same?
I've been in situations before where I went along with one idea in my head only to get blindsided with contradictory information from the other party that ended in us ending, but as we also talked last night about how she only keeps a job for 6 months and I have a knack for killing a relationship at or before the6 month mark, does it really matter if I can't tell if this is what girls do when they are new friends or if we are dating without rounding any bases?
Whatever puts a smile on my face these days, huh??

The last thing weighing on my mind as the dog my roomie is babysitting paces around the arm chair trying to retrieve his tennis ball and I weigh the desire to shower against his need to just run in the snow covered courtyard until he passes out is my priority list. It will get some official name soon, as it is becoming a character in my existence these days. The trick is, I decided I wanted a laptop instead of fixing my old old old hand me down desktop. So I saved up for it, and decided to wait one more paycheck to buy it just because I knew I'd go apeshit with the grocery shopping and hate getting within $100 of the red in my account. The same day, my phone starts dying - it freezes when I send a text to the point of having to take the battery out to reset it. As I take it to my phone dudes to see what I can do or what options I have in replacing it, I find out that I am no longer under contract and am free to leave the company or get all the "new customer" bonuses and I can get a local number without penalty. Without getting into any of the drama about how having my sister on the family plan under my name is throwing a wrench in things, I will say that I was in that store for maybe 90 minutes, 60 of which were at the iPhone station. And as I thought about what my current phone can do, and what I'll be expecting of my laptop, and how excited I was the last time I got the cutting edge pocket sized technology, well, it's making it hard to drop money on any of the big things this week. So I told my sister about how upset I was that I'd finally made a decision to spend a wad of cash on a computer and now need a phone and kinda want one as cool as the one I've had, and she relayed this to my dad who owns a computer shop who emailed me with "um, you can ask Dad to be a Dad sometimes" so I gave him the specs of the system I was looking at and I think he might get me the laptop or at least pay for half. And, in hopes of finding some specs on a phone that wouldn't cost me as much as my rent, I went online to my company's site and found about 10 phones they will give me for free!!! nothing quite as cool as what I have now or the iPhone obviously, but anything that gets me textable again (without having to dump all my savings into this unexpected expense), well, the iPhone will still be there and I won't blow my wad thinking Dad will come through and hate myself for waiting on him if he doesn't. All the while, the weekends I spent apartment hunting and condo browsing and furniture shopping linger in my Priority List, and the temptation of going on a vacation ever again sits like a cloud over my bank account as well...

So, that's what's on my mind this week - whiny grown women I work with, the possibility that I've entered into a lesbian relationship without deciding to, and how to spend money wisely enough to make me happy now and in the future. All in all, pretty typical I guess, except I'm not sleeping well and when I decide to be a good girl with what I eat I become the dim witted uncoordinated shell of a person the waif models epitomize, but without the charm of having the photogenic body of an underwear model. If I were seeing gains in that direction, surely loosing all of my vocabulary mid sentence and not being able to remember what I’m working on or how I was accomplishing it would be a trite inconvenience, but as it stands, I don’t know if my mood swings have lessoned because I’m eating right or if I just don’t have the energy!

1 comment:

Undercover Mother said...

7 inches of snow, huh? Apparently none of them were from Butte County. Like the winter we had feet and feet and feet.

Glad to hear you're settling in even more, have been thinking about you. I finally got a new notebook, a Sony Vaio on clearance at the Going Out of Business Sale at a Comp USA. But you can get a Dell shipped to you for $469 through the Evil Empire, aka Wal-Mart.

Have you had a chance to use the coat yet?